Friday, March 4, 2011

Best Manburger

I like mine big, juicy, medium rare, char-broiled, with blue cheese, caramelized onions, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and catsup on a pretzel or kaiser bun. Yummy-o! I've found and previously blogged about the best hamburger in Labriola cafe and I was so inspired to go on a mission to find not just the best burger but ...the best MANBURGER. Those gargantuan artery clogging cholesterol filled all beefy goodness.
Along Wolf Road in Orland Park is Hamburger and Fries, an unassuming dive beside a gas station that serves the juiciest manburger I've ever had.

 You can taste the smoke from the charred half pounder complemented by the pungent creamy blue cheese. I love that they don't skimp on the sliced tomatoes, onions and romaine lettuce. It's like eating a burger and salad the same time. The only problem was that the bun did not hold up to the meat and fixings. It was so thin and soft that most of the juices dripped down my plate as I was eating. It was delicious and satisfying nonetheless.
Hidden in the residential area of Wheaton is Jack Straw's Pizza. They have awesome pizza's but I think the manburgers should take center stage.

With names like Andre the Giant, the Stallone, the Eastwood and even the Bundy, you can never be more manly than that. My favorite is the Bronson. It has two all beef patties, gyro meat, bacon, cooling cucumber sauce, red onions, lettuce and tomatoes. I've no idea why they call it the Bronson but maybe he's part Greek or Mediterranean because this reminds me of a gyro or a falafel pita sandwhich. The Andre the Giant is the grand-daddy of all manburgers with three patties, bacon, cheddar, mozzarella, american cheese, 1000 island dressing, pickles, onions and tomatoes --- enough to complete an average person's dietary requirement for a day.
I do have a list of burger places that you might want to check out: MK burger in North Clark (try the mini burger sampler), Lady Gaga's  favorite Kuma's Corner in Belmont, and Hamburger Mary in Andersonville (try the Daddy Mac topped with mac & cheese or the Buffy the Burger Slayer with red wine sauce).  
Where's the best manburger you've ever had?



No comments:

Post a Comment