Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Best Chinese Food I Ever Ate

As a hungry Asian boy, I must pay tribute to my Chinese heritage or else the ghost of my ancestors will haunt me. Well that's not true. I'm a mutt, mostly Filipino with a little Chinese and Spanish. I love to cook because I love to eat. Eating out and trying new cuisine is my passion. I've tried anything from frog legs to "balut"(duck embryo). I've travelled to Fisherman's Wharf for the best clam chowder, to Bleecker St. for the real New York pizza. I'm always hungry and this may have been because of growing up in a third world country like the Philippines. It's not that I didn't have enough to eat but my choices were limited. I need variety!

                                                         chubby hungry Asian baby

Enough about me. Let's go to Joy Yee's Noodle where I had the best Chinese in 2010. 
Chinatown, Chicago
 This is a family place. The entrees come out in big plates and the soups in huge bowls (as seen here with my nephew Sean).  


This is not a date place unless you don't mind the communal seating, the noise from the kitchen or ungracefully slurping a bowl of  noodle soup in front of your date. The place has an urban feel from the bright yellow walls, incandescent light bulbs and the white industrial chairs and tables. The average meal is just $15 per person and service is fast and very polite. Although the place is in Chinatown, the waiters are fluent in English. Another thing I like about this place is that they leave you alone. I hate it when my server comes to my table every minute just to ask how everything is and interrupts the conversation.
I love everything in the menu especially the spring roll sampler, beef brisket noodle soup, rice in bamboo pot, crispy Szechuan fish and the bubble teas (which deserves a separate blog). Where do you go for Chinese?

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog. When I read it I hear your voice reading it in my head! I'm excited to read more of your of your top picks. I very rarely go out for food, but this makes me feel a little more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joy yee!! best pan asian restaurant ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete